Friday, May 16, 2014

Our Moms! (I, J, K, hearts and 27)

Our theme this week was "My Mom" and we focused on the number 27, and reviewed the letters I, J and K, and hearts.

We read this week: Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
                              Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother Too? by Eric Carle
                              I Love My Mommy by David Bedford
                              The Night Before Mother's Day by Natasha Wing
                              Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman

Our question of the week was "Why do you love Mom?"

For our theme of the week, we drew picture of our moms to hang up in our hallway.

We made gifts for our moms. I found these little 3-packs of clay pots at the Dollar Tree. First we decorated them with dot paint, but the clay just soaked it right up! It looked like there was no paint! So I problem solved and sealed the pots with Mod Podge, then we tried again.. so much brighter! We put these beautifully decorated pots together with an envelope of flower seeds and a tied it up with a short little poem I wrote. Voila!

We also wrote in our journals about why we love our Moms.

We hosted a little breakfast tea for our moms too!


To make our classroom a bit more spring like, I cut up the Truffula trees and sent them home. Then we used water color paint on paper plates to make big flowers. Yay!



Our song of the week was "Mommy, Mommy, I Love you". It's such an adaptable song that it can be totally different each day.
(C) Jean Warren www.preschoolexpress.com

We talked about the shape heart and practiced recognizing them. I created this page based on ones that we had done in the past.

For our number,  I made these worksheets that reinforce the one to one concept. The kids practice writing the number and have to color a square for each picture that they see.

The class also worked on their writing of the number and the word for 27.

For our letter activities, we reviewed writing and finding the letters that we are talking about; I, J, and K. These pages came from Letters for Little Learners.



Made a Jelly Bean Journal full of the things that start with J. This project came from Letter of the Week: Book 2

The letter of the week books have pages that you can make into a book. I picked from both to get my "favorites". Each week, we work on some of these pages, and each child at the end will have an alphabet book. I like to do these pages, because not only do they get more practice writing the letter, but they also have to finish the sentence on the page, which is really cool. It gets them thinking!
This week the "I" page came from Book 1, the "J" page came from Book 2, and the "H" page came from Book 2.



We also worked more on recognizing our review letters in the tongue twisters from Alphabet and Counting. We used this book to turn our letters into fun animals, but on the pages is also a little tongue twister. I printed it large and made a picture, then laminated them with contact paper. Using wet erase markers, we take turns finding the letters that are hidden!



We kept working on our sight words! Every morning we go over around 10 of them. Once we've mastered them, they will go on our sight word wall! So exciting! We're working our way through the 220 Dolch sight word list.
Here is what we have mastered so far! 

Speaking of sight words, from Confessions of a HomeSchooler, I got these great sight word pages. We continued this week with the word "in".

Another Happy Birthday in our class! YUM!

And some donuts for teacher appreciation! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment