Saturday, August 30, 2014

Outer Space!

We continued our summer fun with the theme, "Outer Space!"

During summer camp, we always have Yoga day where the school does a child centered yoga workout. The video we've been using is great because most of the poses are named after animals.

We also have splash day, where all the kids put on their bathing suits and we play outside in water tables and have a fun squiggly sprinkler to run through.

We also have some older children that have joined our class for the summer. While my kids are having their rest in the middle of the day, these children have extra play time out of the room and they also work on some practice sheets that I got from the Summer Bridge Books for K-1 and 1-2. They are great worksheets to keep the older kids practicing their skills over the summer! I love the Pk-K book and I use it through out the year for their letter worksheets.

We read this week: I Want to be an Astronaut by Byron Barton
                               My Picture Book of Planets by Nancy E. Kryulik
                               Our Stars by Anne F. Rockwell
                               Roaring Rockets by Tony Mitton
                               The Birth of the Moon by Coby Hol
                               Circus in the Sky by Nancy Guettier
                               On the Moon by Anna Milbourne

Our question of the week was "If you were an astronaut, where would you go?"

For our theme of the week,  I made a little board game with construction paper and star stickers. Using a dice we moved up the stars to the end of the game in small groups.

We talked about the differences between day and night, like different things that we see and the way that things look. on one piece of paper we divided it into day and night, and I challenged my class to draw the way things look during the day and during the night.

From _____ the kids colored stars in with the correct colors. Never can have too much practice! =]

The class painted their own planets and stars, and we made a galaxy in our hallway!

In journal my class wrote about what planet in our solar system they would go to.

While my class wrote in their journals, the older children filled out these reading response pages to the books that we read.

We made number constellations. After choosing and writing a number on a square of blue construction paper, the kids took a pencil and poked holes along the number or on the points. When they were hung up on the window, you could see the constellations! So cool!

Using play dough the kids made moonscapes and other space shapes.


We watched Wall-e!

Our song of the week was "Climb Aboard the Spaceship" to the tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider.
(C) 2001 - 2011 Jean Warren www.preschoolexpress.com

The games that we played this week at morning meeting were so fun!

"Just Like Me" is a great game when a child is feeling a little bit sad or just to get the class feeling like a group! I start by modeling with a few statements, i.e, I like vanilla ice cream. If a child also like vanilla ice cream, they stand up and yell, "just like me!" After I model a few statements like that, I will pick a few children to be the leader. It's so cool to see them thinking about what they want to say!

"Pop!" is a really fun game, and definitely a favorite. We stand in a circle and each child says one number as we go around. But each round there is a pop number. Instead of saying that number, you POP! the person that would be next, out. We work very hard on having good sportsmanship, and the kids have fun even if they're out because they know they get to play again in the next round!

We played "Crocodile by the Lake". I found the idea for this game last year and adapted it to be my own. I turned a box into a crocodile with bulletin and construction paper, then filled it with little cards that have a letter, number or shape on them. The children have to reach into the crocodile's mouth (while he's sleeping of course), pull out a card and name what's there. Also hidden in the belly of the crocodile though are SNAP cards (the crocodile wakes up and SNAPS his mouth shut!). Once we pull three SNAP cards, the game is over!

The Weather Changed" is a fun game. The kids decide on movements for 5 different weathers before we start. I start as the Weather Person and go through the different weather, while we change the movements. Then the kids get a turn as the weather person!

We played "Body Drumming". Using only our bodies, we do different motions to make sound and rhythm. I model first and either make a pattern for the children to follow or I have them follow a sequence of 3 or 4 motions. Then I will pick a few children to be the leaders. I love this activity because it's something a little different, you can't get "out" and it's fun to see them trying to focus on when the motion is going to change.

That's all for now! Leave me a comment please if you visit! =]

No comments:

Post a Comment